New Destiny is the ONLY organization in New York City that is dedicated to building affordable housing for domestic violence survivors and their children who are homeless.
Each year, nearly 100% of the families in our buildings remain stable in their housing and free from new incidents of domestic violence. By offering a platform to heal, tenants in our buildings can go back to school or take classes to improve their job prospects. A study of our on-site services by researchers from Rutgers University and Baruch College found that our affordable, permanent housing combined with specially tailored services provides housing stability and a foundation that allows survivors to progress in other areas of their lives.
To prevent families headed by domestic violence survivors from becoming homeless, we created HousingLink which connects low-income survivors to apartments in privately-owned buildings. An independent evaluator has described HousingLink as “an innovative, promising practice.”
- Developed 15 properties that house over 1,000 people each year
- Own and manage 11 properties with over 400 families
- Pioneered a housing model that incorporates on-site services for homeless families coming from the domestic violence shelter system
- Provide critical information on New York City subsidy programs and on affordable housing that is accessed by 140,000 individuals each year
- Created two programs to directly connect domestic violence survivors with safe affordable privately-owned apartments.
- TD Bank – Housing For Everyone (2017 and 2010)
- Supportive Housing Network of New York – Residence of the Year Award (2014)
- Bank of America – Neighborhood Builder (2011)
- New York State Association for Affordable Housing (2011)