Below are resources and links on housing-related issues that households may face in finding or maintaining an apartment.
Domestic Violence Providers
If you are a victim of domestic violence and in need of emergency shelter immediately, call NYC’s Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-621-HOPE.
General information about domestic violence services in NYC:
- Mayor’s Office to Combat Domestic Violence
- The Legal Aid Society – Domestic Violence and Family Law Unit
- New York State Unified Court System (Domestic Violence Referrals)
The City of New York Resource Directory of Domestic Violence Services contains comprehensive information on services available to domestic violence victims throughout the five boroughs. Click here to access the directory.
Specific domestic violence shelter and non-residential providers:
- Barrier Free Living
- Center Against Domestic Violence
- HELP USA
- Anti-Violence Project
- Safe Horizon
- Sanctuary for Families
- Sakhi for South Asian Women
- Sauti Yetu Center for African Women
- Seamen’s Society for Children and Families
- Violence Intervention Program
Housing and Homelessness Resources
Assistance preparing for, and identifying, affordable housing:
- HPD’s Housing Ambassadors
- HPD’s Outreach Van which provides information and services throughout the five boroughs. Services include preparing for affordable housing lotteries, understanding rights and responsibilities as a tenant, help filing a complaint about housing code violations or landlord harassment.
Learn how to remedy housing code violations at your property. Click here to view the Outreach Van calendar.
- Ready to Rent is a New York City program that helps New Yorkers prepare to apply for affordable housing. It provides free one-on-one financial counseling and assistance with affordable housing applications. To schedule a one-on-one financial counseling session, call 311 and ask for “Ready to Rent.” For assistance applying for affordable housing through NYC Housing Connect, schedule an appointment with a Housing Ambassador who can help you apply for housing lotteries, gather information in case your number comes up, and get ready to show that you qualify. To make an appointment, contact a Housing Ambassador directly.
Homelessness prevention and outreach:
- Housing Court Answers
- Coalition for the Homeless
- Homebase (Operated by NYC Department of Homeless Services)
- The Legal Aid Society, Homeless Rights Project
- JustFix.NYC – a free service that helps New Yorkers get repairs in their homes.
Supportive housing information:
NYCHA public housing and Section 8:
Public Benefits Resources
Public benefits information:
- Community Service Society, Center for Benefits and Services
- Women’s Center for Education and Career Advancement, Self Sufficiency Calculator
- ACCESS NYC allows families and individuals to see which City, State, and Federal health and human service benefit programs they may be eligible for. After entering your family’s income and expense information ACCESS NYC will tell you what benefits you may qualify for and provides information on the benefit programs, how to apply, where to go and allows you to print applications.
Job Center locations and information:
To request a fair hearing:
Housing Search Resources
To learn more about the communities in which you are searching for housing, use NYCityMap. NYCityMap allows you to select a location in New York City and view nearby services nearby including daycare centers, head start programs, libraries, public transportation, hospitals and more. This service will allow you to identify resources in your new community once you locate an apartment.
- NYCHA Section 8 Available Apartment List
- Craig’s List
- Queens Time Ledger
- New York Daily News
- New York Times
Affordable housing opportunities in NYC:
- NYC Housing Connect
- HPD Housing Ambassadors
- NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development
- NYC Housing Development Corporation
- Association for Neighborhood Housing Development
- New York State Department of Housing and Community Renewal
Affordable housing opportunities in New Jersey:
Interactive real estate maps plus property data and listings:
- Housing Conservation Coordinators (HCC, Inc.)
- Her Justice
- Legal Aid Society
- Legal Services for New York City
- MFY Legal Services
- New York City Bar
- New York Legal Assistance Group
- South Brooklyn Legal Services
- The Urban Justice Center
Housing and Domestic Violence Policy Organizations
- Citizens Committee for Children
- Voices of Women Organizing Project (VOW)
- Women’s City Club of New York
- Pratt Institute Center for Community Development