Who We Are
Since 1994 New Destiny has been the only organization in NYC focused on long-term solutions for helping families break the cycle of violence by building safe affordable housing and providing housing services.
Who We Are
New Destiny is a New York City nonprofit founded in 1994 to provide housing and services to one of the City's most vulnerable homeless populations – victims of domestic violence and their children. We are committed to increasing permanent housing options for domestic violence survivors by building affordable housing and improving their access to existing housing resources.
The NYC emergency shelter system provides a confidential, safe environment for families to begin the process of healing. But after 180 days, their shelter stay expires, and fewer than 11% of families leave with safe housing. Without access to affordable permanent housing domestic violence survivors remain homeless – entering the general homeless system, risking their safety by doubling up with friends or family or worse still, returning to their batterers.
New Destiny believes that safe, affordable housing and services
that empower families to become self-sufficient offer the
best hope for breaking the cycle of violence.
New Destiny accomplishes its mission by:
- Building affordable housing
- Providing services to help families become self-sufficient
- Offering programs to connect victims of abuse with information about housing resources
- Educating the public on the housing needs of homeless families
New Destiny has been recognized for its excellence in affordable housing by:
- Supportive Housing Network of New York – Residence of the Year Award (2014)
- Bank of America – Neighborhood Builder (2011)
- New York State Association for Affordable Housing (2011)
- TD Bank – Housing For Everyone (2010)
- Andrew Heiskell Community Renaissance Award from Enterprise Community Partners (2009)
- Top Women in Real Estate award from Tri-State Real Estate Magazine (2008)