Comuter Safety Notice
Follow Us

Eviction Prevention


Eviction Prevention

Facing eviction can be scary. Tenants should be aware that they do not need to vacate their apartments just because the landlord asks them to or because they receive notice of a court date.Tenants have a right to go to Housing Court to respond to the landlord's eviction case and may have defenses available to them that will allow them to remain in their homes.  Whenever possible, tenants should consult with an attorney if they have received an eviction notice.

New York City Homebase, run by the Department of Homeless Services (DHS), helps individuals facing eviction and/or homelessness. Homebase helps individuals to apply for emergency grants and offers case management and other services to help tenants keep their homes. Services are provided by community organizations located throughout the five boroughs. Find your nearest Homebase office at 311 Online or by downloading the Homebase map.

Free legal services funded by New York City's Office of Civil Justice are available as follows:

Anti-Eviction Legal Services are offered in the housing courts and in community offices across the City. They are free, comprehensive, flexible, and individualized to help low-income households avoid eviction and homelessness.

Services may include:

  • Representation in housing court
  • Negotiations with landlords and/or other advocacy assistance
  • Inquiries into whether a tenant's rent level is correct, whether there are conditions that require repair and whether these constitute defenses to a proceeding
  • Preparation and filing of required agency and court papers

These services are free and you do not have to be an HRA client to apply. If you need legal help with an eviction, please find the Anti-Eviction Legal Services location nearest you here, or by dialing 311 or by emailing This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Free Legal Representation for Tenants Facing Landlord Harassment

Anti-Harassment Legal Services are available in select neighborhoods across the City for tenants, buildings, and tenant associations to help preserve their housing, protect against harassment or misconduct by unscrupulous landlords, and give representation and legal advice in evictions and other cases. Neighborhoods where these services are available are:

  • Brooklyn: 11207 East New York;  11208 East New York;  11212 Brownsville;  11213 Ocean Hill
  • Bronx: 10452 Highbridge;  10453 Morris Heights
  • Manhattan: 10029 East Harlem;  10034 Inwood;  10035 East Harlem
  • Queens: 11101 Long Island City;  11354 West Flushing;  11358 West Flushing;
  • Staten Island: 10301 Bay Street;  10304 Stapleton

If you live in one of the ZIP codes listed above and need legal help because your landlord is harassing or trying to displace you or your neighbors, please call the Tenant Protection Hotline at (917) 661-4505, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM.

Free Legal Representation for Immigration Legal Issues

A variety of free legal services programs for low-income immigrant New Yorkers in need of legal advice or representation in immigration matters are available. If you need legal help with an immigration issue, please visit the New York City Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs website, dial 311 or email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Housing Court

To learn more about the Housing Court process visit Housing Court Answers or's portal which assists tenants with navigating the housing court process including sample forms and guides on how tenants can prepare to answer housing court cases.

Rental Arrears

Households with rental arrears or facing eviction may be eligible for additional rent subsidies and/or for money from certain grant sources. In order to receive help paying for rental arrears, the tenant facing eviction will need to establish that he or she is able to pay rent and maintain the apartment in the future. Resources for eviction prevention include:

  • “One-Shot-Deals,” which are emergency grants from Public Assistance may also be available. To apply for an emergency grant, the tenant needs to bring documentation and explanation of the arrears and will need to provide proof of the ability to pay rent for the apartment in the future. This paperwork should be brought to the tenant’s nearest job center (public assistance office). Find your nearest job center here.
  • Family Eviction Prevention Supplement (FEPS) may be available to those facing eviction and receiving public assistance. FEPS applications can be filed through Legal Aid’s borough offices and specific community-based organizations in each borough.

Tenants residing in NYCHA Public Housing or Section 8 apartments cannot be evicted solely because of their status as a domestic violence victim due to protections offered under the Violence Against Women Act regardless of the gender of the victim or perpetrator.

Tenants of rent stabilized apartments who are victims of domestic violence and need to temporarily flee their apartments due to the violence cannot be evicted due to not using the apartment as their primary residence if the reason for their absence from the apartment is due to the abuse.


Domestic violence is a leading cause of
homelessness for women & children